Its been way too long..
So I have been up to lots this winter/spring. I got a new calling, I was called as the Relief Society Second Counselor in our ward. This is HUGE for me. It totally caught me off guard. I'm too young right??
Anyways, immediately I was handed the RS Birthday Dinner which was scheduled to be in two weeks. (It went well).
So I wanted to do something cute and fun and different for the centerpieces for the tables. I was doing some searching and with an idea from my mom I decided to try to grow wheat grass..
So first off, a little skeptical I soaked just some hard wheat, the kind you get out of your food storage, the kind you grind to make wheat bread..(crazy huh?) Soaked it in a large bowel overnight and even some the second night. I waited until they were good and soaked, and doubled in size.
Then I have my hubby make some cute little wood boxes. We put some plastic down in the boxes so the water would not leak out as bad. Then I put down large gravel rocks from my drive way and then potting soil. I then just scattered the soaked wheat over the top of the soil, put them on my table where the sun mostly hits during the day and then just waited. I covered them with plastic the first night. Mine did fine but if you start to see mold growing, uncover them.
Also I tried to keep them wet, not so much the soil but the actually wheat, so I used a spray bottle. I was starting to get nervous because it had been 2-3 days and they still were not sprouting. (I was told it would only take 9 days and I had exactly 9 days til the B-day dinner).
Finally they started to sprout little tine sprouts and before I knew it they were grown into grass. It was really amazing. The kids found it very fun as well. So here are the pictures of my growing process.
2nd Day, nothing happening,
3rd Day, see the little tiny sprouts?? There is a larger green sprout in the center. Yay...
4th Day, About the same as day 3 with lots more sprouts.
5th Day, It actually looks likes grass..
6th Day
7Th Day Getting tall but needs to thicken up.
Didn't get a picture of Day 8 But here is Day 9. Not as thick as I wanted it but Today is the day. So I loaded them up and put them on the tables. They looked kind of cool..I was proud!!!
I had some Amazing helpers on my committee for the B-day Dinner, so I gave them all a planter of Wheat Grass. Here is mine that I kept. Looks nice for Spring. When it gets too tall I will try to juice it.
Happy Spring.
2 comments:
Wheat grass is a healthy food source that you can use in any type of meal. Thanks for this information.
So cute! Well done!
Post a Comment